Saturday 5 October 2013

The palette: is less more?

I was just looking at my recent paintings and saw an immense contrast between the vibrant block colours of some and the subtle palette of others. And I started to wonder if less was really more, as they say rightly for so many things.
The thing with a limited subtle palette is that your generally working all the colours off the same bases, which ensures, in most case, a perfect harmony. When working with strong, contrasted colours, it takes a lot more thought and work to make sure all colours work together in their contrast rather than just clash and don't belong.
So I don't think less is more, but it probably lets the painter concentrate on technique and understanding how the colour works. My last two paintings used respectively 4 and 2 colours, excluding black and white of course, and I'm rather pleased with the results.
And what do you normally prefer? A restricted palette or a colourful one?

No comments:

Post a Comment