Thursday 1 September 2016

Nourishment & discipline, all a piece of cake!

To continue on from my previous post on preparation: "It's all about the means and the end", once I have my work space prepared and my working head on, I'm talking nourishment. Nothing to do with a specific diet here, although always good to look after yourself, but it will include some edible details.

NOURISHMENT:

First start with yourself. Not giving a cookery or a healthy lesson here, but being hungry will only give you an excuse to escape from the grip of the blank canvas syndrome.
-Plan to start work after breakfast, or lunch.
-Bring along a cup of tea or coffee, or whatever else comforting, I do, so I won't use that as an excuse either!

Nourish the ambiance and your mind, make yourself feel good by what you're wearing, listening, looking at, etc.
-Don't just stagger out of bed into the studio. For me, to feel like it's work, I need to look like it's work. So I pay the same attention to getting ready as I would to go out to work (nearly).
-Put some good music, TIME WASTING ALERT, have playlists at the ready!
-Hang some stuff on the walls. I opt for my own stuff, keep me in the right direction, a white board not overloaded with to-dos, a big calendar, and some inspiring quotes. Change it around now and again.

DISCIPLINE:

If you want to make it work, treat it like work. Coming and going as you please sounds great... for a hobby, it doesn't work with a career.
-Set days and times, sticking to them helps as well!
-Have set break times, leave nothing to time wasting temptation
-Turn off the evil that are social media
-Plan your day from the start: To-do list don't are proven to be ineffective by the simple fact that they are overwhelmingly disorganized. Without being too strict, using a timed diary is brilliant. Allocating approximate time to different tasks to be done will put you under a light pressure and get your productive juice flowing. I fit in phone calls, email and other internet bits and bobs at the start of the day and have a clear finishing time on it as it has potential to spiral out of control.

What are your own tips? Share them with me below I'd love to hear them!



No comments:

Post a Comment